Monday, April 25, 2005

Ruby6117

You’ve been given the opportunity of a lifetime. You have the choice to go back into the past and change your mistakes and what you did wrong. Now the major question is, would you? I know that if I was given the choice, I wouldn’t want to go back and change my mistakes. See, without making mistakes, it would be almost impossible to correct yourself. Mistakes come and then fade away, so why change them? I would not go back into the past to change my life, because I learn from what I’ve done wrong years ago, what happened in the past affected my life today, and everyone makes them so it would be too perfect.
The quote, “Learn from your mistakes” is one of the wisest quotes I’ve heard, because this exactly what most people take into consideration and do. For me, mistakes are the number one way in which I learn. They show me what I’ve done wrong and how to correct myself. Lets just say that you were playing kickball in the house with your friends, and you know you aren’t supposed to do that, and you happen to break something. You would get yelled at, long lectures and perhaps grounded, so you would learn from that mistake to never play kickball in the house again. When you correct what you’ve done wrong, you build upon your new knowledge and it helps you to understand where you went wrong so it won’t happen again. If I were to go back in the past and change my mistakes, I might not have learned what I know now. Going back in the past to change something would be one of the worst things you could do to your life.
What you did yesterday, a week ago, a year ago, is changing your life as we know it. You may be sitting here, reading this essay, but how would you have found out about this internet site if you had deleted your past from your life. You wouldn’t know about it which leads me to believe that your decisions, good or bad, have affected the way you think and what you currently know. This is a good reason not to change the past. Along time ago, when you made certain decisions, it was your fault if you made the wrong one. You learned from it and know better then to repeat that same decision again. What you did in the past is part of you now, so if you changed the past, chances are you’d be a completely different person.
What would the world be like if no one ever did anything wrong? I’ll tell you. It would be too perfect, abnormal. Everyone would be exactly the same. No one would have any past to talk about, no memories to share except when they got job promotions or were raised a rank in sports. No one would ever say that they once drove a car into a tree or completely failed a test in school. I would get sick of hearing about the perfect things in everyone’s lives. It’s impossible to be perfect in life without ever making a mistake. Everyone, even Albert Einstein, have made one or more mistakes in their lives. It is very common to be wrong, so if I changed my past, I would end up to be just like one of those boring people who say all they’ve ever done is perfect.
Changing our past faults us from our future. It would prevent us from learning correctly. We would seem too perfect if we’d never had anything wrong in our life. Our past can never be perfect the way we want it to be, can it? No matter how hard we may study, work or practice to become perfect, something will always go wrong. It could be from hitting your elbow on a desk to losing a job. We just need to accept our own lives and decisions and stop wishing we could change them.

No comments: